You may remember our article back in March about Manx environmental trailblazer, Rowan Henthorn, who will shortly be taking part in an eXXpedition comprising of an all female crew sailing from Hawaii to Canada, through the Great Pacific Garbage Patch (if you didn’t catch it first time round, you can read it here)
The focus of the trip is to help gain better understanding of how plastic in our oceans is impacting our environment and individual lives.
During this journey, Rowan will have her blood examined to determine the level of plastics within her own body, which is both facinating and terrifying in equal measure!
In order to raise awareness of Rowan’s journey (and to give her a fabulous send off!) Foraging Vintners are putting on a fundraiser for Rowan, with the support of many local businesses and corporate partnerships.
This Friday 11th May, for a £10 donation and joining in the spirit of Aloha, supporters can get a glass of FV Fizz, enjoy some free Hawaiian pizza generously donated by La Gusto Pizzeria in Port Erin, and enjoy some tunes by DJ Allan Vannin.
There will also be an amazing auction containing some fabulous items donated by local and global companies!
The incredible Stedhead Art will be there on the night, giving out a limited number of tattoos for just £20. Foraging Vintners is also willing to donate a massive £100 for anyone who’ll get FV tattooed on them…why not?! It’s all for a good cause right!?
Rowan will give a presentation about the eXXpedition on the night, and then the bidding commences…
- A case of Apple Orphanage Manx Cider
- A Fynoderee Spring Gift Pack containing a bottle of delicious Spring Dry Gin, a cocktail book, jigger & pourer, in an exclusively branded Fyn & Tonic shopping bag!
- A meal for two at the beautiful 14 North restaurant
- A keg of Manx Bitter from the legendary Bushy’s Brewery
- A Bluetooth speaker and gift voucher for Sure Mobile
- One on one swimming lessons for a child donated by Swim in Mann
- A cube of Jenny Lay Back Cider (20 litres!) along with some super cute t-shirts, Manx donated by Manx Cider Co.
- A SUP and SIP package donated by Port Erin Paddleboards
- An evening of beer and pizza for 4 people, donated by Secret Pizza Co. and Bottle Monkey
- 2 cases of Fire Rock Pale Ale kindly donated by Kona Brewery, one of the corporate partners
- A ladies themed vinyl gift set, along with a Vintage Hawaiian shirt from Sound Records
- Foraging Vintners will be auctioning off its first bottle of Eltoora, its Elderflower Sparkling Wine.
- A beekeeping lesson and tutorial provided by Jamie Bee Blair from Roots Bev Co
- DIY Pina Colada Kit and a lewis/lewis tee shirt from Jamie Lewis, of Peggy + Lewis.
- Distillery tour and tasting with canapes for 6 people, kindly donated by Seven Kingdoms
And LAST but not LEAST, an auction item to make history!
Never in the 1000+ years of Manx political self-government has there been the opportunity to command an MHK to “WALK THE PLANK!”
The Hon. Laurence Skelly, has graciously offered to be part of this history, and will auction himself off to leap into an open top processing tank filled with UNESCO Biosphere Manx water.
UNESCO Biosphere Isle of Man is also a corporate partner for this eXXpedition and supports Rowan’s cause.
You can join the Facebook group with full details of what will be auctioned off on the night, here.
So don your Hawaiian shirt, grab yourself a ticket and support this incredible cause!
See you there!
If you would like any more details about the eXXpedition, visit here. To follow Rowan on her incredible adventure you can find her on Instagram @ocean_roro and if you have been super inspired by this, and would like to support the expedition (but can’t make the fundraiser) you can donate to this amazing cause here.